Monday, November 5, 2007

Some Quotes and a Story.

Have I really not posted in a week? My sincerest apologies, (although apparently only two people read my blog). I even missed quotable Friday!

"You could open my heart and you'd see that it's true."

"Merry Christmas you old building and loan! Merry Christmas Mr. Potter! Merry Christmas Mr. Bank Examiner! I know isn't it great, I'm going to jail!"

"And I know (echo: and I know), yes I know that it's plain to see, we're so in love when we're together."

And now a story from Friday.

I'm sitting in AP Euro, trying my hardest to keep my eyes open, and thinking about the 1 zillionth king of England, when all of a sudden I hear a voice,

"Can I borrow Josh for a minute?"

It was a girl from the symphonic band.

Ok, interjection here. At the beginning of the year in band, we had a placement tryout. Symphonic band is the highest, then concert band, and then there are the people who just want to be able to say they play drums and they don't even get to be in a band. I tried-out and I thought that I did horribly. I did not play well at all. But, I now know that it must have been very interesting for Mr. Chaston, my band teacher, because some of the tryouts...well how do I put this...they can't hold sticks, let alone play the music he gave us. Anyway, shockingly I made it into Symphonic Band. Which is quite an honor for a sophmore to make symphonic band. But still, I'm the ONLY sophmore in symphonic band, not just the only sophmore percussionist, I'm the only sophmore in ALL of symphonic band. Anywho, I have mixed feelings about this, I'm getting to play way more fun music than concert band is, so I guess it's pretty much okay.

Now back to the original story.

"Sure, you can borrow Josh" My teacher said.

I stood up and followed her out into the hall.

"We're playing "Ghost Train" for the assembly and you need to go set up" she said

(Ghost Train is the piece we had played for the concert the night before, and now, without warning, Mr. Chaston wanted us to play it for the Harvest assembly.)

"Okay" I said.

So after I got down there, I started getting equipment out, and we realized that based on the assembly schedule, we needed to get the timpani onto the stage a different way than the rest of the equipment. So I was wandering onstage, trying to see a way that we could get all of the timpani past the many props and scrap wood that is backstage. It was pitch dark, because they were testing a movie on the projector that they were going to show in the assembly.

Somehow I wandered my way onto the front of the stage with another kid from percussion. When we got to the front, the stage crew started screaming at us.

"GET OFF THE STAGE! HURRY UP! GET OFF RIGHT NOW! COME ON! GET OFF!!!"

Now, I still don't know why they wanted us off stage. I have no explantion. Needless to say, I was afraid that I might be hit by a train any minute. I started hurrying toward the front of the stage to get off. I didn't think I was anywhere close to the edge, but I was.

So yeah, I fell off the stage, hit the first step on my knee, and skidded down the second and third steps on my shin. I have a big old scrape and I was bleeding all over and stuff. No one really saw me, 'cause it was dark but I still feel really embarassed, so EVERYONE who reads this should make really comforting, I've-done-that-same-type-of-thing comments, so that I feel better about myself.

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.
-Anonymous

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha, this is funny. good blog josh!

Anonymous said...

That's nothing to my embarressing moments, so don't feel bad about it. Some of my recent past embarressing moments: falling flat on my face while opening a folding chair at Young Womens, shutting my head in the fridge, not playing the last verse of the opening hymn in seminary(I got up and walked off, thinking that the song was over), and walking smack into a tree while talking to my friend. Feel better?

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention that I completely skipped four numbers when I was blogging 100 things about me. Ouch, that one hurt.

jani vegas said...

Oh Joshua John! I have fallen NUMEROUS times in my life (many on BYU campus--the ice is VERY slippery)! So don't worry...Except, on the down side, you probably come by this clumsiness genetically --so sorry.

Mommy

Thomas said...

wow, josh, that was pretty clumsy. i must admit though i have done the same type of things before. keep up the good work with symphonic band!!!

James said...

congrats buddy. That is sweet. sorry about the fall. Surprisingly I have never fallen down in my entire life, never.

heidi said...

Way to go on making the band! You are fabulous!
I can testify of the horrific looking scrape. I think a nice big, bright band aid would make it heal faster josh! :)

heidi said...

Real fast...your poll about my hero...what about Dwide Shrude?

Leslie said...

Oh, Josh, I, too, have NEVER done anything embarrassing in my life. Nope. Never tucked my dress into my nylons, accidentally, and then walked out of the public bathroom at work. Nope, because, hey, that would be REALLY EMBARRASSING!! Nope. Sorry. I guess you're on your own here.

Anonymous said...

You know my great bike wreck stories from my mission. But also, one of the first days of my mission was a torrential downpour. My comp and I were running from our car to the apartment where we had a teaching appointment.

As I tried to turn the corner on the wet cement in my dress shoes, both feet went right out from under me and I slid about 10 feet on my knee and backside right under one of the stairways. So I walked into one of my first teaching appointments with sopping wet, dirty, and with a whole in my brand new suit pants.

Jesse C said...

Congrats Josh, That is better than awesome. I have some pretty good falling stories. One involves me trying to be a rockstar and falling off a stage monitor flat on my back during a show. One involves a very steep hill in Logan, lots of ice and Newtonian Physics. The last involves, very similar to yours, a darkened room and the edge of a stage which came much sooner than expected. Luckily only my pride was hurt during these escapades. Hope your leg heals up soon.

Anonymous said...

hey josh. love your blog :D i wasn't sure what to expect ~ but it's kinda clever...