Monday, November 26, 2007

Ok, I really want to continue my story, but I have a couple of things on my mind that I would like to share. The two ideas are completely unrelated, but that's okay, right?

Something my teachers quorum advisor said during quorum meeting on Sunday has really stuck with me. He said,

"There is always someone around to benefit from your courage to do what's right." That has got to be one of the coolest things I've ever heard, and I assume it's almost always correct. Whether or not it seems like someone has benefited from your courage to stand up for what you believe in and do what's right, I'm sure there is someone.

In a kind of backward, it's-only-going-to-make-sense-to-me sort of way, this concept reminds me of something Elder Ballard once said (this is not a direct quote),

"Sin will always result in suffering, it may come sooner, or it may come later, but it will always come." I shared this concept (the one my advisor shared) in my home-teaching lesson yesterday, and I gave one of my favorite examples from the book of mormon and if you don't have anything to study tonight, may I suggest Alma chapter 48.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now on a completely seperate note, I'm feeling a little guilty and yet defensive. To show why, I'll tell you a story.

There once were 3 boys, Josh Crowley, Tyler Wolfley, and Kory Carlson. Josh was a BYU fan and Kory was a Utah fan, they enjoyed good-spiritedly trash-talking during math class which they had with Tyler.

Neither Kory nor Josh really knew Tyler and rarely talked to him, and never about anything besides math. One day, after a particularly gratifying BYU win over Utah, Kory jokingly told Josh that he didn't want to talk to him today. Josh laughed and half-said, half-sang,

"Go Mighty Cougars!"

"SHUT UP" said Tyler, unexpectedly. Josh chuckled and figured that Tyler must be a Ute fan as well.

"Tell me to shut up again, come on" Josh jokingly taunted. Turning in his chair to face Josh, Tyler said,

"You know what, I'm a cougar fan too, but you're the most flippin' annoying kid I know!"

Completely befuddled, Josh blew off the comment and figured that he didn't really care what Tyler thought about him, he didn't even know him for crying out loud.

The End

As I'm sure you all noticed, this wasn't a pretend story. :) It was real and it happened to me in math today. Now while I still don't really care what Tyler thinks, because he hasn't gotten a chance to know me, I have since remembered something I said on Thursday that I regret.

I said that my motto was "Kill the Utes." I really didn't mean it, I'm just a really big fan of BYU as I hope you all know, but I definitely need to watch it, some people may not be very thick-skinned, and could easily take offense to things I say.

So why am I telling you this? I don't really know, I guess it's kind-of an apology and an explanation of the fact that I really don't lose respect for anyone who is a utah fan. I really don't hate ute fans or players, I'm just very strongly-oppinionated and I think I sometimes need to turn it down a notch.



I'm not the most annoying person any of you guys know, right?

(Yay! 17-10, What a great game!)

9 comments:

Thomas said...

wowzers, cool quote from teachers quorum. man, that guy must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed that morning, wow. he must be a math nerd and you were disrupting his concentration, bad josh. the most annoying person i've met, no, but you are a very close second, jk, hahaha!

heidi said...

I don't know why certain people feel the need to pipe in their opinion sometimes. Did he accomplish anything by talking to you...No. Haha...funny story Josh!

Anonymous said...

Rise and shout! The Cougars are out!! Man, that was one of the greatest games I ever saw!! Can you believe that there were no touchdowns until like the last 5 minutes?!?! Holy cow!!

Go Cougs.

Anonymous said...

Nope, you're not the most annoying Cougar fan ever. That title goes to the fan who sat behind your mom and me through the whole 1992 season. Every time (and I do mean *every*) John Walsh dropped back to pass, this kid would yell, "Unload it, baby! Unload it, baby!" Seriously. By the end of the season, I truly want to unload something on him.

Leslie said...

I love your Cougar enthusiasm!! Keep it up! I'm sorry for the other kid, I think he must have some other issues he's dealing with. If that had happened between two girls, they'd be life-long enemies, but you two will probably have a good wrestle someday and become best of friends. (Or at least you'll pin him, and then you'll feel better!)

Besides, the most annoying fans are the ones who were at Ohio State when we were there: Riot if they lose; Riot if they win?? I still don't get it.

Anonymous said...

You're not annoying, you're adorable. However, it sounds like you've just had one of your first Is-it-me-or-is-it-the-other-person issues. Welcome to grownup-edness--it's completely befuddling.

Superman Survivor said...

Hey, this is sean and I got a new blog today. It's survivingsuperman.blogspot.com

Anyways, I thought that the BYU game was one of the best games I've ever listened to(unfortunately I didn't get to watch it). And sorry about that kid in your math class. I think it should be somewhat obvious that your not all out against Utah fans when you got friends that are Utah fans.

James said...

Josh, I am way more annoying than you. I can actually teach you a thing or two about being annoying and you can try them out on your math buddy. He will then realize that although things seem bad, they can always get worse; which is a good lesson to learn in life.

Kate said...

Nah, you're not annoying. Not very often anyway. :) j/k That kid must have been having a bad day, or something.