Saturday, March 19, 2011

Of BYU, and not just the basketball team :)

Okay, first of all: that game was outstanding. If we can continue playing like that, we could make a deep run in the tournament. Knock on wood.

Okay, now that that's out of the way.

On facebook, after the game, a kid that I went to high school with (who I have a lot of respect for) posted several things about how much he hates BYU. He attends Utah State and loathes BYU. I just want to address a couple of the things he said he hates about BYU.

One thing he said was that he hates how BYU fans/students are brainwashed. Now, I will be the first person to say that the reason that I am a huge BYU fan is because my parents are. I was dressed in a BYU sweatsuit shortly after birth. I went to my first BYU football games before I had my first birthday. I've grown up with BYU in my blood. I don't believe this is brainwashing. Our parents teach us and as we grow up, we idolize our parents and tend to think like they do. Brainwashing involves things like teaching kids that if you bring down Americans and die in the process, you'll go to heaven. Brainwashing is knowingly taking away an individual's ability to see right from wrong--sports opinions do not fall in that category.  Sports are a lot of things. They are entertainment, a way to teach life lessons, a way to express yourself, and so much more. However, the team you cheer for is not a decision of right and wrong. No matter how die-hard I am, nothing can change that fact.

Second, he said that he "hates BYU's rules."

I looked through his pictures, and he has lots of photos of himself at the BYU-Utah State football game wearing a shirt that switches the first letters of BYU and the most offensive vulgarity. It is very interesting to see his view on rules. I believe that the truth sets us free. I believe that when we live righteously, we are not restricted, but have more freedom. Freedom from addiction, freedom from spiritual death and the loss of the spirit. 

I don't expect everyone to love BYU or to share these viewpoints. Let me just exercise my agency to say things that I love about BYU.

I love that I have a class entitled "Missionary Preperation."

I love that I get to learn about science and controversial topics from a gospel perspective.

I love that a lot of people at BYU are striving to be their best selves and live righteously.

I love so much about BYU, beyond sports. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect his as I hope he respects mine.

Oh, and I love Jimmer Fredette. :)

4 comments:

Lindy-Lou said...

Very well said. Valid points. The Honor Code (aka 'rules') is a qualification of admission to a private university. There are other options open to every applicant. I believe someone once called such detractors "yapping dogs". It's best to pay them no mind.

jani vegas said...

I would just like to add my unbiased opinion to this great post--you were RAISED RIGHT my boy!!!

Kate said...

I agree. I hear people whine about the dress/honor code up here all the time. Yeah, maybe it's kind of a bubble, but why wouldn't I want to learn in a good environment? I'm very grateful for the honor code. And even the dress standards.

Leslie said...

Amen.