Thursday, December 6, 2007

Trepidation Part 6

"Where were you?" asked Rick's mom.

"I went running," replied Rick,

"In this weather?"

"Ya, but it wasn't coming down quite as much when I went out" Rick said, rubbing his head and grimacing.

"What's the matter?" asked his mom

"I hit my head"

Rick's mother examined the back of his head and gasped at the size of the bump.

"Ya, it really hurts" said Rick.

"How did you fall?" asked his mom

"I tripped over the ball." said Rick

"This was from the pavement?"

"Ya."

"So you just went for a little run in the rain, huh?"

"Just like I always do."

"What is it with you and rain?" she said, more to herself than to him.

"Oh and mom, when I was running there was a freshly dug grave, but it had a piece of plywood over it, so I lifted it up-"

"YOU DID WHAT?"

"I just lifted it up to see if there was anything under it, and there was a knife."

"A knife?"

"Ya."

"Ok I think you've had enough fun teasing me for tonight, why don'-"

"No mom, I'm serious."

"Mmhmm, I know, now why don't you go shower and wait till your dad gets home to look at your head."

"Mom, I'm not lying."

"Just go, you're soaking wet."

The impact from the shower water hurt his head, and the water stung the bloody wound. He didn't use shampoo, figuring that if the water stung, fragrant soap was probably not going to feel like a fluffy pillow on his head either. Suddenly it worried him, when would he be able to wash his hair? Well, without immense pain at least. He got out and tenderly dried his head, thinking about what to do now. He hadn't lied, but he hadn't told the whole truth either. He went into his family room and turned on "Who's Line is it Anyway" and soon fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~

The next day he awoke to the smell of eggs and bacon.

"Is there a better way to start off a day? Especially a Saturday." Rick thought, "Maybe I should set up a George Foreman in my room."

He pulled himself up the stairs, driven by the juicy aroma of the bacon. He got upstairs and dished himself up more than his fair-share of bacon and eggs.

"Thanks Dad" he said, hoping that his dad realized that he really was grateful for a good start to his day, especially after the day he had had yesterday.

He killed a couple hours by watching T.V. and surfing the internet. At about 11 o'clock he went upstairs into his living room and glanced out the window. It was still wet and lightly raining, and some city workers were there digging a grave somewhat near the hole he had visited yesterday.

"Perfect timing," he thought. He had been waiting for someone else to be in the cemetary, so there would be witnesses. He slipped on some sweats and the same hoodie he had been wearing yesterday. He quickly jogged around, so it didn't appear obvious. He jogged around the same way he had before, avoiding the neighbors fence this time though. As he approached the spot he saw that the plywood was gone. But not just the plywood, there was no hole, no fresh soil, just grass.

Nothing but grass.

5 comments:

Thomas said...

hahaha george foreman grill, the office!!! hahaha, good story!!!

Superman Survivor said...

This story is getting awesome! Too bad there's not anymore yet. :( I'm exicted for the next part!

Kate said...

I love bacon and eggs too! The absolute best way to start a morning! By the way, I know you already sort of named your story but I thought of a pretty good one. I'm not as creative as you are, but give me a few days . . . . :) Ok, it's Sidelines of a Graveyard: The creepy adventures of an ordinary guy named Rick. Just thought I'd give it a shot.

cutie crowley said...

Very nice eggs and bacon that was awesome. Is it supposed to freak me out a little? JK

cutie crowley said...

It makes a lot more sence now that I read the whole thing!