Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Another Thought

Last Fast Sunday I was thinking about kind of the same thing as I posted about last time. My main thought, however, was that it would have been really cool if Heavenly Father had put me in the perfect situation so that I could have been Nephi's right hand man, or best friends with Captain Moroni, or lived in a cave with Mormon or Moroni. As I was thinking though, I realized that I am extremely lucky to have the people around me that I do.

My parents are amazing examples to me. I have incredible uncles and aunts who I look up to with so much respect and I have awesome friends and other extended family who are such an inspiration to me as well. I'm close to my Grandma and Grandfather and feel that missing my other Grandparents is a blessing, because I have to have faith that I can meet my Grandma and will see my Grandpa again someday. An besides that, it has also brought the nilsen side of my family closer together.

I have amazing priest advisors and an amazing bishop. I have gotten to be somewhat close to a brother in my ward who was just called to the stake presidency as well as our new stake president. My siblings have blessed me in many ways by not only helping me learn life lessons with them in our home, but just being friends that I'll love forever.

So, in the end, I'm glad that I live when I do, because living in a cave couldn't be all that great, no matter who is there with you. :)

4 comments:

Thomas said...

heck ya it'd be freakin awesome to live with them, but then you realizie what you'd have to give up here and you realize that your living in this day and age for a reason. i look to you for inspiration a lot and i'm glad we're goo friends. i'll see ya soon.

John said...

Awesome thought. (I'm sorry I haven't been reading lately. When you changed the name, it messed up my google reader. I thought you weren't posting anything lately.)

Anyway, I too think it would have been great to have known the ancient prophets personally. To stand shoulder to shoulder with Helaman and fight for your home and family. Sometimes that seems more appealing that trying to battle against an enemy that is so much more deceptive and sneaky. But as Alma said, "Behold, these are my days."

Jesse C said...

That's a really great thought. President Hinckley always seemed to stress this point when he talked about the state of mankind. Although this is one of the most wicked times in the history of mankind, it is also one of the most incredible times. The incredible amount of free information, the immense freedoms we enjoy, the technology that makes our lives more comfortable, efficient, and enjoyable, and the fulness of the restored gospel make this a pretty special time. There is a lot of good in the world, the evil tends to be a bit more noisy.

Superman Survivor said...

That reminded me a lot about a story I heard in seminary. It was a girl in World War II who went to school in Russia, went through the holocaust, saw her parents get shot, barely survived, got polio, and there was some other stuff but I couldn't remember it all. Anyways I couldn't believe how much crap she got, but she still stayed strong and all. It made me feel like a wimp. Anyways the point is, is that we have a lot grateful for. There are a lot of things I wish I had but I really am blessed and there are some things that I really take for granite.