Monday, February 4, 2008

A Short Poem...

...to describe my feelings after my first day of soccer conditioning.

It wasn't that hard, and yet I feel sick
I'm so burned out, like a candle's wick

I didn't hate it, but it wasn't fun
I liked it all but the run, run, run

After fifteen straight minutes, I wanted to swear
To keep my dignity, I said a short prayer

The seniors were expected to keep us in line
But their attitudes weren't exactly "just fine"

I hope I make the team so this isn't a waste,
I can't even count all the times that we raced,

I shall be telling this with a sigh,
Somewhere ages and ages hence,
One day we had conditioning and I,
I went and worked till I thought I would die,
And that has made all the difference.

Name what poem that last stanza was from. (Well, I changed it a bit.) Sorry about throwing that in, it just felt right.

9 comments:

Kate said...

The Road Less Traveled?

Wow, you are a waaay better poet than I am!

Thomas said...

oh, i'm sorry, conditioning is hard, i know from experience. and that last part is a limereck, am i right?

Thomas said...

oh just kidding, i thought you said "what form is it in?" my bad

Keri said...

Anything worth having is worth working hard for. I wish you all the luck in making the team. They are crazy if they cut you this year. When do you find out? Keep us posted.

morganne said...

Haha, I like it! And don't worry, the conditioning the team does before tryouts ALWAYS made me feel pretty intimidated for the actual tryouts. But, it's mostly just for "show", if ya get my drift. Like I said before, just be way aggressive and show that you have drive, and the coachs would be stupid not to put you on the team. Honestly.

Lyle Jordan Parry said...

The last stanza was from the Road Less Traveled by Robert Frost (a very good poem which I know is your favorite) That was a very good poem and I agree with everything you put in there.

jani vegas said...

I am proud of you Josh!! Nice poem!

Anonymous said...

Josh, this is my first time to comment. I'm waaay behind. I love your poem. I hope you make the team. You have the talent and the heart. You are an amazing person. A young man of many talents. And I'm not prejudiced at all. REally. :-)
Grandma

Kate said...

Ooo, ooo, ooo! I remembered the real name of that poem! It's NOT The Road Less Traveled, it's The Road Not Taken! Yay for me! Is there a prize? j/k :)