Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Football Season

Look at me, not even a full week and a new post already. So pretty much this Saturday is a HUGE day. BYU is playing Oklahoma. Here are my thoughts:

Reasons we could lose:

Oklahoma is a powerhouse. They have an amazing quarterback and overall amazing athletes, better than BYU's or anyone in the Mountain West for that matter.

We have a brand-spankin'-new offensive line, which could spell destruction for our offense. If Max is getting rushed every down, we don't have much of a chance.

Our secondary does not have my confidence until they prove themselves. We heard good things before last season, but by the end they were anything but up to snuff. I REALLY want them to be great, but they've got to prove it to me. Defending Sam Bradford is going to be ridiculously hard for the best of secondaries, let alone one that has yet to prove itself.

Reasons we could win:

Oklahoma played for the National Championship last season. BYU had a disappointing finish to say the least. This plays in our favor, in my opinion, because OU could easily come out overconfident. BYU, on the other hand, has something to prove.

We have a solid defensive line, while OU has a brand new offensive line also. I don't care how good Bradford is, no one can complete passes if they're getting smashed into the ground by Jan Jorgensen and Russell Tialevea every down.

Max Hall is hungry.

Mckay Jacobson is back. Dennis Pitta, Oneil Chambers, Luke Ashworth, Andrew George, Harvey Unga, and Manase Tonga round off what could easily be one of the best offenses BYU has had in a while.


I feel this is a very fair list. Obviously I'm ridiculously partial, but the things I have brought up are nothing but fact. Realistically, I give us a 15-20% chance of winning. Highly unlikely. My hope is that the football nation turns off their TVs saying, "BYU just gave an amazing OU team a great game. They kept it close and looked like a great team, but couldn't quite pull it out in the end. They are a force to be reckoned with."

I think anything within 14 points is a success for BYU. As long as no one gets injured, we don't turn the ball over, we create at least one turnover, and we don't get beat by more than 14 or 17, I'll keep my head held high at school Monday :)

Go Cougs.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope the best for the MWC, whether it's Utah, BYU or TCU, i hope one of them goes undefeated and screws over the BCS, which is BS.

Leslie said...

Ouch! That was a little bit too realistic for me! Man, don't you ever watch movies like Rudy, or Remember the Titans, or Facing the Giants?
Aren't we just supposed to win because that's how it's supposed to be? Because we're the protagonists in the story?
Reality sucks.

John said...

I do like Leslie's thoughts. But I can hardly allow myself to think about what a BYU win would mean. The implications are just too enormous.

But when I take off my blue-tinted glasses, I agree with pretty much everything you said. And unfortunately, just like our strong D-line is going against their inexperienced O-line, our O-line is in precisely the same situation.

Kate said...

Good thoughts. That's not so fun to have them the very first game of the season; you hardly know what to expect. Either way, win or lose, I'm good with it. If they win, yay MWC. If they lose, haha. But in this case, I do kind of want B** to win, just to show the Big 12 what's what.

Lindy-Lou said...

You won't believe this, but since you posted your play list, I have checked regularly for a new post from you and have missed several great posts thinking nothing new was there. I didn't realize the play list was a permanent background (choice) feature. I've missed a lot! But now I've read them all and really enjoyed both your thoughts and the pictures. You are an incredible young man and I'm a lucky grandma.

Leslie said...

Ha, Ha! See??? You should be as great a fan as me! ;)

Steph Romney said...

Reasons you could win? OK's QB is injured. J/k J/k Josh, I love you, you know that:) Remember how YOU are responsible...kinda...for me and that one guy...kinda? Hope high school is going well! I miss it, and I'm jealous of you!