Sunday, April 27, 2008

Update on my life, because it's my blog :D

Well, most of you have probably already heard (from my mom) but I got my results from the ACT test. My comprehensive was a 30, which pretty much shocked me. I'm not going to lie, however, it was MUCH easier than I had expected. But still, a 30? Without any preparation? I'm as shocked if not more shocked than everyone else. You'll probably remember from my post about taking the test that I was much more confident about the English portion than all the other portions. When it came back, however, English was not my highest section, Reading was. This surprised me, but there was only a 2 point difference between my highest section (reading) and my lowest (science-reasoning). So yeah, I figure that I'll study my rear-end off next year and end up getting a 28 or something. Who knows, maybe the fact that I didn't feel any pressure was the reason why I did so well.

I'm still waiting to see my results from the BYU young writers competition. Kate told me that last year her letter came at the end of April, so any day now I should know how I did.

About a week ago my dad challenged me to get my 14 day blood sugar average from about 200 down to 150. When I have told all my friends about this they have been very confused, so just to clear up any confusion:

My blood-glucose-monitor (the thing that I call my "tester") adds up every blood-glucose-reading that I've had over the last 14 days, divides it by the number of readings (you know, like finding the average of a set of information, it's not all that complex). As of last week this average was about 200. My target range is 80-150. Now some of you are probably saying "Oh, so he's not over by that much" while some of you are saying "Oh my gosh! Is he gonna die? 200? That's really, really, really, really, bad! Isn't it?"

Well the truth is that I HAD the first attitude. I am seeing now that, while I'm not going to die from a 14-day average of 200, I feel so much better when it is lower. Oh, and the reason why I'm suddenly motivated to bring my average down is that my dad is going to pay be 100 buckeroos to do it! Yippee! And he hinted that once I get it down to 150, there might be another hundred waiting for me if I bring my average down to 100!

Right now my average is about 175, but you have to keep in mind that I've only been at this for a week, which means that one of the weeks that my 14 day average is coming from was previous to the challenge. Right now I haven't had a test over 200 since Thursday. In case that doesn't seem monumental to you, IT IS! I doubt that I've gone for 3 days without being over 200 for over a year.

So, there's my life. The AP test is in 12 days, including today, not including the day of the test. That's keeping me pretty busy, so we'll see what happens.

7 comments:

Kate said...

Three cheers for your ACT score!!! Wahoo! Yipee! Hooray! That is so cool! You must have the good-test-taker streak that runs through the family. (I think I missed that wonderful gene.)
Yes, I'm practically haunting the mailbox everyday. Last year I didn't get the letter until the very last day of the month, so I'm trying to convice myself to be patient. It's not working.

Tiffany said...

Wow! A 30?! Smartypants, that's what I say. (Though I can't claim to be too surprised.) It's like you have all the wisdom of Dwight, the down-to-earthedness of Jim, and the cuteness of Pam, all wrapped up into one!

Congratulations! And good luck with your writing competition and your 150 goal! I'm sure you can do it. And when you get your $100, you can buy me lunch because I am your favorite aunt who is moving away.

Thomas said...

wow, uh i have a question: would you be willing to split that money possibly with a cousin from california?

Kate said...

Um, sorry Aunt Tiff, but I'm going to be the one with the $100. Josh can win second prize because he got the high score on the ACT. You know, just to keep things even. j/k I'll celebrate even if you do get first, Josh, and I only get a letter. :)

Jesse C said...

I don't remember thinking the ACT was easy Mr. Smarty McSmartypants, and I didn't get anywhere near a 30. I do remember dosing off a couple times. Great job Josh, that is fantastic.

Johnny-Bravo-Wanna-Be said...

Psh. Easy my butt! I got a 20 and i'm not very happy with myself right now.

~Matt

Superman Survivor said...

30! You, my friend, are a genius.